Solicitor4All
Solicitor4All, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I was hoping to get some advice on divorce and how it will

Customer Question

Hi, I was hoping to get some advice on divorce and how it will impact me financially. My husband and I live in my family home which I inherited in 2015, it was owned outright. In 2016 we took out a mortgage to extend the property, which is in both our names. Upon separating, what claim does he have to the house/my finances? We married in 2019, have 2 children. Many thanks for your help
JA: Was the home purchased during the marriage?
Customer: no, I inherited it in 2015. But a mortgage was taken out in 2015/16
JA: Were any marital funds used for the mortgage or property improvements?
Customer: Unsure what determines 'marital funds'? :)
JA: The Family Lawyer will be able to walk you through that. Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I had another property which I have just sold, I bought the house in 2009 with inheritance money, we lived there for a few years together before moving to the before mentioned house where we've lived since 2015 :)
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 8 days ago.

Hello there, how do you do? I am Solicitor4All. I am a law expert with over 15years practice. I am here to help you today. Thank you for the inquiry.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you :)
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Email is easier for me please, because of privacy reasons a phone call would be difficult
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
email/messenger

Thank you very much for your patience. If you did not sign an antenuptial agreement then the property is marital property and he would be entitled to share 50/50 with you.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send me your message. I am pleased to help you. all the best.