How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31555
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I was divorced 40 years ago - don't have a copy or case

This answer was rated:

I was divorced 40 years ago - don't have a copy or case number ***** how do I obtain a copy?
JA: What are the assets involved here? Are there any minor children?
Customer: no assets - no children
JA: Where are you located? Divorce laws vary by location.
Customer: Long Eaton in Derbyshire so I don't even know which court it was filed in 40 years ago
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: nothing else

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

for the avoidance of doubt, may I clarify you are seeking to obtain a copy of your decree absolute confirming your divorce please?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
are you there?

thank you. If you do not have any information as regards ***** ***** dealt with the matter nor have a case number, then you will need to consider filling in form D440 and sending this to the address shown on the form together with a cheque or postal order for £65 made payable to HMCTS. alternatively, it is possible to pay by credit or debit card over the phone in which case you would need to include a covering letter indicating your wish and providing your phone number for the court to contact you:

following payment, a court clerk will search the central family court records for a copy of the decree absolute based on the information you provide in the form which obviously must ensure is as accurate as possible

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
perfect - thanks so much

I'm glad the above answers all your questions for now. If you have any follow up questions please revert to me.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.

Joshua and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you