SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Family Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

Can you have two divorce proceedings one in the UK and one

Can you have two divorce proceedings one in the UK and one outside of the UK. If one spouse has filled in the UK and the other spouse in a different country.
JA: What are the assets involved here? Are there any minor children?
Customer: Yes 1
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: nothinf

Hello, how are you today?

My name is ***** ***** I am going to see if I can assist with your query. Let me just read your first post. I may need to ask you additional questions after I have read it, and if I do, they will appear in my next response. It is important you answer all the questions I ask, so that I have the information I need to give you an accurate response.

JA is a Q&A website, and this ‘chat’ is email based, which means responses may not be immediate. Do rest assured however, that I will be providing you with an answer to your query today.

The site will offer a phone call, this is automated and it is important for you to know that I do not make calls. I will answer your query online.

Who filed for divorce first?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
He did in the UK
Customer: replied 6 days ago.

And where are you all habitually resident?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
We were both married in jordan and go back and fourth between jordan and the UK
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I want to get divorced in jordan but was unsure if I am able to get my divorce in jordan if he has already started the process in the UK

In that case the English courts will have jurisdiction as you live here and he filed for divorce first.  You cannot have two sets of divorce proceedings running at the same time, so it is the first in line that takes precedence, based on whether or not you are entitled to divorce here.  The latter is a matter of fact given you live here.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
What if I get divorced in jordan and have the uk have justification over the finances settlement would that be possible?

No, not unless your husband withdraws his divorce application here.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Would I be penalized if I get divorced in jordan?

You cannot get divorced in Jordan if there are proceedings taking place here. If it is progressed and goes through it will simply be invalid.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok, thank you.

Can I clarify anything further for you regarding this?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No thank you

You're welcome.

Glad I could assist.

If you have new questions and wish to ask for my assistance, you can do so by putting FORCustomerONLY in the subject heading, or, once you have rated this question you will be able to add me as a favourite expert from your membership page. When you wish to ask me another query, you can then simply type “@“ followed by my name in your next chat, e.g. @SASH_Law. 

All the best!