How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8978
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

Could Peter respond please Can you clarify a comment my

This answer was rated:

Could Peter respond pleaseCan you clarify a comment my daughter made to me please? In a discussion with her she said that myself and my husband would not be allowed to support her or help her to write a statement to the court, surely parents are allowed to support their children? Would it not be seen in a negative way if we didn't help her, we'd be seen as unsupportive and not caring?Thank you

Sorry what is the court case that your daughter is involved in please?

Apologies I can see you wanted Peter to respond I will opt out for him to assist

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you

Hello and thank you for the question, thanks also for your patience, this has been allocated to me now.

Statements in support from parents are often submitted in court proceedings. Obviously you are not an impartial witness, given you want the best for your child, but you can still provide evidence ion support if you have anything to add that will help the judge determine a factual dispute.

A character reference is less helpful.

People are assumed to be of good character in family court proceedings, so unless the witness gives evidence related to disputed facts, they are little evidential value.

Can I clarify anything more?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Good Mornimg Peter, thank you for your reply. I understand about not being seen as an impartial witness and focusing on the facts.What my daughter was saying is that I would not be allowed to help her write her own statement. Is there anything in family law which specifies I cannot help her with this, like a solicitor would help a client?In court at the final hearing my sister in law came across as compassionate and caring and promising to the judge that she would ensure good contact with the parents. Whilst the court ordered 3 hrs per month has mostly bern met over the last 5 1/2 months it has been fraught with difficulties, cancelled dates, illness and communications which verge on verbal abuse both to myself and to Hannah. All of which have been made in messenger form. My husband and I have compiled a log with screen shots of these messages to eventually present to court to prove sister in laws actions are NOT in Theas best interests and NOT promoting the birth family links as she promised in court!
This is what I want to help daughter to evidence in her statements

I understand - and you can absolutely help with compiling the witness statement. It's not a 'test' for your daughter to do it herself, she can get help from anywhere she likes if she needs it.

I trust that clarifies the point for you?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for the clarification.What are your thoughts on the log of messages? Is this something we could add you to review before we submit it to any officials/court?You say Hannshs statement is a witness statement, but she will be bringing the case to court, she was listed as a respondent before?

Yes you can add the log of messages as an addendum.

She would be the applicant in this application to discharge the order.

Witness statements can be from any party in the proceedings though, applicant or respondent.

Is there anything more I can clarify?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you Peter, very helpful as always.
The log is likely to be several pages long, we're happy to pay extra for your review and comments?

Yes we can arrange that, of course.

Very happy to help.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok, thank you we'll be in touch soon.

My pleasure.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I think I've asked this before but my husband just wanted to ask your official title qualification and years of experience please.

Whilst I can't post my personal information on here, I can say I am a barrister called to the (and practising) since 2012.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for the information, can you say whereabouts in the UK you are? we're in Norfolk

I'm afraid I can't provide that information.

plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8978
Experience: Barrister at law
plclegal and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok, no problem. We will arrange a phone call soon. Thank you again for your information today. Have a great weekend!

Thanks, ***** *****