How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5971
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

Granddaughter of 18 in dispute with mother. Can I take over

This answer was rated:

Granddaughter of 18 in dispute with mother. Can I take over Guardian ship to allow from to be signed for university
JA: Where are you located? Guardianship law varies by location.
Customer: Gloucestershire
JA: Do the biological parents consent to the guardianship?
Customer: This is not known at this time parent unwilling to be helpful
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Parent lost other 3 children for abuse

Hello, how are you today?

My name is ***** ***** I am going to see if I can assist with your query. Let me just read your first post. I may need to ask you additional questions after I have read it, and if I do, they will appear in my next response. It is important you answer all the questions I ask, so that I have the information I need to give you an accurate response.

JA is a Q&A website, and this ‘chat’ is email based, which means responses may not be immediate. Do rest assured however, that I will be providing you with an answer to your query today.

The site will offer a phone call, this is automated and it is important for you to know that I do not make calls. I will answer your query online.

Is the child 18 years old already?

What form does she require signing?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
she is over 18. The form that needs to be signed is for student finance

Is it the requirement for the parents to provide their incomes?

Why is the mother refusing to sign?  What is the actual issue?

To answer your specific question, no, you cannot become a guardian to another adult, unless that adult has special needs of some description that require the person to have a guardian.

As your granddaughter is off to university, it would appear that is not the case, so she is legally an adult.

I understand that this will cause some issues with student finance, as those under 25 are still seen as 'dependents' of their parents for the purposes of student loans, unless they can show that they have been living independently for the last year (at least).  Your granddaughter needs to contact student loans to see what it is she must do in the circumstances she is in.

If her father is available, she could perhaps ask him to sign instead.

Please note as per my initial response, I don't make calls.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Not sure which is the father

In that case, she needs to contact student finance to discuss further what she can do next.

As referred to, she's an adult, so you cannot become a guardian for this purpose.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Please call when able

Please note as per my initial response, I don't make calls.

Can I clarify anything for you regarding my response above?

SASH_Law and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I have dyslexia and would prefer a phone call please

The call you requested is open to other experts. I cannot say if or when they will call. Phone calls are separate to the response I have given you online.

If you don't receive a phone call, customer services will be delighted to assist you with any further queries regarding that.

f you have new questions and wish to ask for my assistance, you can do so by putting FORCustomerONLY in the subject heading, or, once you have rated this question you will be able to add me as a favourite expert from your membership page. When you wish to ask me another query, you can then simply type “@“ followed by my name in your next chat, e.g. @SASH_Law. 

All the best!