How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1665
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

I got submitted divorce against my partner in 2018 and it is

Customer Question

Hi,I got submitted divorce against my partner in 2018 and it is still going on and upon chasing that i was told it may take another 2 years all together if everything goes smoothly.
While my case was in the court my wife has also applied for divorce from me which was online and than teh site never worked even after chasing them several times. Then they sent it by post to complete and send it back to them by post. I was not sure while my case is in the court she can also apply. She put many allegations against me of domestic violence and other things which were not true as she could not prove any of them and court barred her from submitting any more allegations as she never proved any and there were no consistency in her statements.
Anyway my question here is which way is the fastest now to get divorce.
Shell i withdraw my case and reply to her divorce or both can be processed at the same time.
another worry i got is that if i withdraw and response to her case will it be better?
Secondly to send anything to court takes min 30 weeks before they respond. that is extremely frustrating.
i am thinking to go to court office and protest in person. Please advice me how can i get it done faster is there anyway.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 16 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 16 days ago.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 16 days ago.

Yes. In this regard, to apply for a divorce you will need:

- your wife's full name and address

- your original marriage certificate or a certified copy (and a certified translation if it’s not in English)

- proof of your name change if you’ve changed it since you got married - for example, your marriage certificate or a deed poll

You must try to find your wife's current address if you do not know it. The court will need it to send them a copy of the divorce petition.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 16 days ago.

Furthermore, you can apply online or by post.

To apply online, click here: Apply for Divorce online

To apply by post, you will need to fill in a divorce application form D8 to start a divorce. Here's the form: Form D8

You should send a copy of the form to:

HMCTS Divorce and Dissolution service

PO Box 13226


CM20 9UG

Also, keep your own copy of the form.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 16 days ago.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Dear Martin,
I think you did not read my question. I am not asking how to apply.
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 16 days ago.

My apology, quick divorce was considered to be between 4-5 months in England and Wales when filing for divorce online. No dispute divorce, the fastest time you can expect a divorce application to be completed is 6-months.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 13 days ago.
Good evening, if two cases are started at once, one party will need to withdraw his or her petition. Usually, the person who filed the second case will ask the judge to dismiss it, and the divorce will proceed in one court only. This will not detriment either party to the proceedings.

However in respect of an expedited process. Mediation always tends to be the quickest method.
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 13 days ago.

In any case, divorce can be costly. Hence, it is highly advised even by family courts to undergo Family Mediation before proceeding with the divorce. This will help resolve whatever dispute before it can go into a very costly legal battle for both parties. You may find a Family Mediator who specializes in these disputes here:

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.