plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

Plclegal Can respond please My granddaughter was extremely

Customer Question

plclegal
Can Peter respond please
My granddaughter was extremely distressed when travelling back to 'home'
She was shouting and screaming, slapping her legs saying "I don't want to go home!!"
When I calmly asked her why she shouted back
"I don't like Mumma!" 3 times and then shouted "I don't like mumma anymore!" (Thea calls Jo, my sister in law and SG, Mumma)
Thea was very emotional and this was an intense display of upset which I have not seen in her before.
I'm unsure how to proceed as my husband has a different view and thinks we should wait as we're about to try and take this back yo court.
Hannah and jonny are also unsure how to proceed.
I can't sit back and do nothing.
Your advise would be much appreciated
Mandy
Expert:  plclegal replied 18 days ago.

Hello and thank you for the question. I’ll do my best to assist you and provide an accurate and speedy response. Please bear with me as this is an email service and not live chat. Also note that the discussions here are for general information purposes only and do not constitute a lawyer client relationship.

Let me review and I'll come back to you asap.

Expert:  plclegal replied 18 days ago.

Thanks for your patience. Because of her age, it is difficult to let what she says dictate how you manage this.

She may well be aware of the tensions between you all.

She may well be saying one thing to you and another to the SG.

I agree that it is not the time for rash action, you can raise this in the court application as it goes to her welfare.

What do you feel you need to do?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
That's kind of my husbands and Daughters train of thought aswell.
But I've never heard her scream and shout like that before.
Due to my job I have experienced a lot of childrens temper tantrums, this was at the extreme end of what I would normally expect from a 3yr old.
It could well have been a tired reaction, we did have a lovely busy morning it could have bern that we were out of routine, she definitely didn't want to leave her mummy and daddy at the dog field!
I just feel someone needs to know?
Hannah and Jonny have not replied to my calls and I don't want to do anything without their agreement at the moment.
Any hand over is always polite and general small talk about Thea and her visit, I'm not sure at age 3how aware she would be? I just know she was extremely upset. I managed to get an audio and video recording, not sure if that's useful or not?
Expert:  plclegal replied 18 days ago.

I think the recordings are not that helpful, the court would not necessarily want to hear them.

My advice would be to monitor this and just keep an eye on things.

Expert:  plclegal replied 18 days ago.

Can I assist further today?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I feel so helpless to do anything useful, Theas reaction was very intense!
I will leave it for now then and monitor the situation, although as a Nanna I really want to ensure Theas welfare!
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Why wouldn't the court want to hear the recordings?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Peter, here is a transcript of the recordings. Theas upset lasted over 10mins
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I'm trying to be Thea's voice here, and it seems I am damned if I speak out and damned if I dont!
Expert:  plclegal replied 17 days ago.
I have reviewed the transcript. 

In general, courts are reluctant to listen to audio or watch video clips - as the context is not there. By this I mean that the content of the clip can seem very intense but the court has no indication as to what happened before or after and evidentially they are therefore not seen as that useful.

I personally feel that the content is not as concerning as you may feel it is. She is 3 years old, and clearly tired and full of emotion. I don’t think this is cause for immediate action.

You are correct to document this, but I would suggest you do nothing more at this stage.

Can I assist further?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi Peter, thank you for reviewing so quickly and on a Sunday too!
Ok I will document for now.
Expert:  plclegal replied 17 days ago.

My pleasure. 

Thank you for your enquiry today. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. You can request me personally on a new question thread saving my profile as one of your preferred experts and by tagging me (@PLCLEGAL) at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter.