plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

We have child arrangement order in place. It says at least 1

We have child arrangement order in place. It says at least 1 FaceTime contact a week before 7pm. Ex has told the children they can call when we they want and also he can join in online gaming whenever they are online. When I have called at his they are always busy doing homework or eating and ‘forget’ to call me back. What is the best solution to this. I believe that each parent should arrange the time for the children to call so it isn’t inconvenient to the other parent. He has weekdays and I have weekends. Children are 11,7 & 6. He is expecting all contact via the eldest mobile at anytime as long as before 7pm. Basically can call 10 times a day. He is saying I am not being flexible.

Hello and thank you for the question. I’ll do my best to assist you and provide an accurate and speedy response. Please bear with me as this is an email service and not live chat. Also note that the discussions here are for general information purposes only and do not constitute a lawyer client relationship.

Let me just review the post and I’ll come back to you with any points I need to clarify.

Can you explain the rationale for “at least once a week” rather than set days and times for this? What was the expectation of the court that “at least once a week” meant?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
To be honest I don’t know what the court meant. We had this in place in August 2021. We obviously both interpret it differently. He is just saying unless I give the children free reign on when they want to call the other parent, I am not being flexible or doing what is in the children's best interest. Care order is dad - Monday am - Friday am. Mum Friday am - Monday am and Wednesday 3-6pm

Thank you. I think “at least once” is an indication that once is the minimum but this is not a carte blanche for every day contact.

If the court had intended every day, the order would have said this.

I think the ba***** *****es somewhere between the stance you are both taking.

I also think that for the both of you to be able to manage this, set times are more helpful, rather than a free-for-all.

But to make these changes, you’d need to consider a further mediation session and possibly a very short court hearing to determine the issue.

Can I clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
That’s really helpful. Thank you for your time

My pleasure. 

Thank you for your enquiry today. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. You can request me personally on a new question thread saving my profile as one of your preferred experts and by tagging me (@PLCLEGAL) at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter.

Have a great day!