How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marcinlondon Your Own Question
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 859
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Marcinlondon is online now

Morning, I pay child maintenance every month to my childrens

Customer Question

Morning, I pay child maintenance every month to my childrens mum. I also pay half nursery fees, which are coming to an end. I then pay half childcare costs (after school supervision with unregistered childminder -the mums choice). Firstly do I legally have to contribute half towards this (as I already pay a child maintenance and am living day to day) and secondly if so where do I find the documentation around this?
JA: How old are your children? Where do they live?
Customer: They live with their mum and I have them 1 night every week, every other weekend and half the time in the holidays (as I am a teacher). My children are 4,6 and 8
JA: Is there an agreement for payment of child support?
Customer: it has been agreed through the gov calculator - nothing written down
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t get any money from child benefits and my ex has had pay rise and receives income from a property she lets out
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 17 days ago.

Hello, this isCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online. You will have a chance to request a call. You will see an automatic prompt. Please feel free to request it but do not feel obliged to do so. Please do note that my response is not instantaneous but I will always aim to get back to you on the same day with my answer, or request more information, if appropriate. Lastly, please note that our discussion on this site is for general information purposes only and do not replace any legal advice you might need, and does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Thank you for your patience whilst waiting for my answer.

Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 17 days ago.

Thank you for your patience. 

If you are paying child maintenance as agreed with the child maintenance services, there is no obligation on you to provide additional financial support. If you do provide it then you are doing this voluntarily.

This is assuming there is no court order /other agreement requiring you to contribute more. 

Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 17 days ago.

I hope this help. Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
we have agreed just using the gov child maintenance app on line. I just want to know if I can question me having to pay the childcare costs outside of my maintenance as I am only just making ends meet not being able to afford taking my children on holiday etc, their mum on the other hand has already taken them on two holidays - one abroad. The calculator says I need to pay £445 a month where as in reality with nursery fees and after school childcare (with unregistered childminder - ex partners friend) the total amount I pay is more like £890 which I can’t afford….. I want to keep it civil, for the sake of the kids but would you suggest going through the CSA?
Ian Slocombe
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 17 days ago.

Understood, Ian. As long as the amount you agreed to pay is the amount set by the child maintenance guidelines, you do not need to pay anything else, unless you want to.

Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 15 days ago.

I hope this helps. Feel free to get back with anything else. In the meantime, many thanks for using our service.