JeremyT1020
JeremyT1020,
Experience:  Expert
110498620

I got married last year, my husband does not want to live at

Customer Question

Hi, I got married last year, my husband does not want to live at my home, which is rented, because my adult children are still living with me. Instead he rents a caravan and lives a very separate life. I cannot ask why or try and plan for the future because he becomes angry. I have come to the conclusion after being ignored now for a few days and this is approximately the 10th time it has happened, that we should not have married and now I want to divorce him. The question I have is am I entitled to any of his assets. I do not know what money he has because he does not disclose his finances to me although he does earn good money working in oil and gas off shore. He doesn't support me financially and although I work I am on a low wage and have to rely on some universal credit to top up my income. What happens to the finances if we divorce?
JA: Was the home purchased during the marriage?
Customer: I don't own my home it's rented and I have lived here a long time
JA: Were any marital funds used for the mortgage or property improvements?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 17 days ago.
Good afternoon and thank you for your question.  I'm a solicitor specialising in family law and dispute resolution so I'd be happy to offer some guidance on this matter. 

I'll need a little more information to fully answer your question.  First and foremost, how long were you cohabiting prior to the marriage?  What assets does he have?  Any that you have together?

Thanks, J

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
We did not cohabit before we got married, only for a couple of months while he recovered from a cardiac arrest, which I administered cpr for and saved his life, anyway he had a house in Exeter with his ex wife which he sold last year and apart from living with me for 2 months in 2021 and then another month later that year he has rented a caravan on the coast about 7 miles from my home. We own no assets together and I have no idea how many bank accounts he has or how much money or other assets he has. I own some land, 10 acres, jointly with another person 50 50 each.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I sent my phone number but I don't want a call because of the costs, can you answer by text as I first requested. Thank you
Hello again and thank you for the additional information. You and your husband will need to have financial disclosure before you can work out how to divide any assets.You can do this through family mediation or via solicitors.The process involves producing documents such as bank statements, property valuations, pension valuations, details of debts, etc. You'll exchange all of this information, work out the value of the total assets and negotiate a settlement.
The call offer is a site-generated pop-up.
At present, I can only message for the next couple of hours.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
OK, thank you, ***** ***** that he is used to hiding what assets he has. Do I need to see a solicitor or can I start proceedings online at gov.uk?
The starting point for any financial division following a divorce is a 50:50 split of the assets, however, there are a number of factors which influence that division. They are dependent children and ensuring a roof over their heads, the length of the marriage, respective ages, health, income differentials, pension provision, living standards, needs and fairness.
Given that you and your husband were married for such a short period, I could not see a situation whereby you were entitled to 50% of the assets.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
That's OK, will he be entitled to a portion of the land that I own with somebody else?
By and large, you would normally be entitled to half the marital acquest in a short, childless marriage. For example, if a property you bought together increased by £20k, you'd seek at least £10k from the settlement. You'll appreciate that the example I give is an oversimplification but that is largely how the process works.
He could stake a claim against your portion, however, you would probably offset this against an asset/money of his that you'd be entitled to.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
OK thank you for your help
My pleasure. Would you like me to clarify anything we've discussed?
I notice the question I may have missed. I would recommend getting a free half hour with a solicitor and finding out how much they will charge.You could, potentially, issue your own divorce petition via the .gov website. It can be a little complicated but there are some useful guides online.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No it all sounds straight forward as I thought it would, thanks again
My pleasure. Thank you for the question and for using Just Answer. Kind regards, J