MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

This property next to this house built the property on a

Customer Question

This property next to this house built the property on a wall that didn't belong to them. When we went to an advocate in Guernsey they said you couldn't get any money from them. A quarter of the house has our wall that cannot be true. That property sold for £800,000 could we have got money from that property?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
This is the wall
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 13 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately, I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No

Were you not informed when they were in the process of building the property on the wall?

Your neighbor should have served you a notice before they proceeded to build the property on the wall. If there is no notice given, the building of a property on the wall is not legal.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The person living in house had life enjoyment so never said they were building be on the wall
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
We didn't get anything from them

In that case, you may take the matter to the court and ask for a compensation.

Did the advocate in Guernsey sent a demand letter to your neighbor? You need to attach a copy of the demand letter in your application to the court.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
How much could you get?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He said you couldn't get anything
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
We sold it with the wall as is for no more money

The compensation you would get depends upon the cost of the property and all other relevant matters. There is no fixed amount and this heavily relies on the evidence that you have.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Why would they build on someone else's property seems stupid.
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 12 days ago.
It does indeed. Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.