How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 26846
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

I have been renting privately and there was a fire ,caused I

This answer was rated:

I have been renting privately and there was a fire ,caused I am told by the fire brigade by faulty wiring behind the cooker ,there was 6 fire engines in attendance,the kitchen was burnt out but there is smoke dammage every where ,all the furniture is mine ,i I did not have contents insurance ,the problem is ,the toxins from the fire is on my furniture,I want the landlady to pay for fogging to eliminate the toxins ,asI cant move my things with toxins over them,her insurers wont pay ,does she not have a responsibility of care to me ,asI have been told and read that the toxins can cause me harm.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in the family court?
Customer: The landlady wants my things removed from the cottage ,asap ,also people (removal firms) do not want to move contaminated goods ,what is my legal standing on this ,I am 74 and am finding it difficult to find another property to move to .
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: East Herts
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: she has suggested paying for removal and storage for 2 months if I give up my right to her giving me 2 months notice ,but this comes back to me moving everything with toxins on them

Hello. My name is***** you for the question.

It is my pleasure to assist you today.

I have been in the legal profession, in High Street practice, for almost 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Although I am shown as online, I may be dealing with other people, on the telephone, or typing.

Please be assured that you will receive an email once I have written a reply.

Just Answer is not a chat service, it’s an email reply board and therefore sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes it may be longer, even hours or overnight.

I apologise in advance if you suffer a delay.

Kind regards.

Who's furniture was this? was the cooker already in property?

when did the landlord last have a electricity safety inspection?

Stuart J and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My furniture ,the cooker was the landladies,it was inspected before i moved in ,I did make a complaint a couple of years ago about the cooker not working properly ,the estate agents sent somebody to fix it, but there hasn't been anybody to properly check the lx,I have not been living there as the place has no kitchen and there are still the toxins covering my furniture ,the landlady usually visits every 4 months to look over the property,she is not a bad person ,but I cant move my things anywhere with toxins ,as I will be vulnerable to them.
I am staying with my daughter temporarily ,but it is not good as we dont get on and I get a lot of verbal abuse ,so I need help sorting at least one area of this mess out,to hopefully move on.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
What time can I be called so I dont miss the call

10 mins please

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thats fine thank you

As Bob Hoskins said in the BT advert, a long time ago, "it’s good to talk"

It was good to talk to you.

It was my pleasure to assist you. Please come back if anything else crops up and needs clarification.

Thank you for trusting us with your legal problem.

As I said, you need to write to the landlady (email is fine) telling her that you have now taken legal advice and you have been advised that she is negligent for not having the wiring checked on a regular basis and accordingly she has until X date to pay up as per the quotations failing which you will issue Small Claims Court proceedings without further notice.

The new Moneyclaim beta system is easy to use:

the new system is much better than the old government Gateway system.

You can prepare the proceedings now, at your leisure, save them, and then just pay the fee and press the button when the deadline in your letter before action, expires.

It's then just a case of following the court process and responding to any emails that you receive.

Court fee is based upon the value of the claim:

The full list of court fees are here:

there is very little legal aid available now except in very few categories but if you are on benefits or low-income, you may get help with or not have to pay the fees. Details are here:

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question. I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Kind regards