How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9054
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

I fled my home with my kids due to domestic abuse, and I

This answer was rated:

I fled my home with my kids due to domestic abuse, and I need assistance with child arrangement with the kid's daddy, a non-molestation order and accommodation. Also, I am an international student at the moment and I am not sure of what to do. Any advice and assistance will be appreciated as I don't feel save at the moment. I will also appreciate a follow up call. my number is ***** Thanks
JA: Has an emergency custody application been filed?
Customer: I have not
JA: When did this happen exactly? Have the police been involved?
Customer: the police is involved. but I don't have a lawyer to help me with the necessary things to put in place.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Hello and thank you for the question. I’ll do my best to assist you and provide an accurate and speedy response. Please bear with me as this is an email service and not live chat. Also note that the discussions here are for general information purposes only and do not constitute a lawyer client relationship.

Let me just review your query and I’ll come back to you with any points I need clarifying in order to be able to answer.

Firstly, as a victim of domestic abuse, you will most likely qualify for legal aid to help with these applications.

In order to access legal aid, your quickest route may be to go through a charity such as women’s aid, the details are here:

They can help put you in touch with a lawyer locally that’s can make the legal aid application.

How old are your children please and is any contact with their dad agreed at all at the moment?

Did they witness any of the domestic abuse?

Hello again, I didn’t hear from you so I’ll give a general answer, to which you can always come back to me for clarification or further information.

As I said above, you should qualify for legal aid and the charity I sent information about will help with that.

But, if you decide to do this without a lawyer, then you will need the following forms:

Non molestation order:

Child arrangements and prohibited steps:

For the child arrangements, you will tick the domestic abuse exception from attending mediation.

If you need an urgent hearing, deal with this in section 6 of the form.

You may also need to submit a c1a supplemental information form if the children have witnessed, been exposed to, or suffered arm as a result of them domestic violence.

This form is here:

I trust that this is helpful? Can I assist further?

I didn't hear from you again, but I trust that the information provided was of assistance.

Thank you for your enquiry today. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. You can request me personally on a new question thread saving my profile as one of your preferred experts and by tagging me (@PLCLEGAL) at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter.

plclegal and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you