How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11866
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

Two of my four grandchildren have been taken into care. They

This answer was rated:

Two of my four grandchildren have been taken into care. They are under a care order and we’re removed
JA: What steps have they taken? Have they filed any papers in the family court?
Customer: They and their family used to live in Warwickshire near me and the rest of the family and were taken into care because their parents had mental health issues. They have since moved to Worcestershire and returned to their parents and two new siblings. The oldest two are under a care order with Warwickshire social services and the younger two with Worcestershire social services. It was all taken to the family court here when the original care order was made for the eldest two but I don’t know if they have returned to the court (social workers) for any further reasons. I was considering trying to get in touch with the Social workers who removed the children the other day but wanted to know what rights I have about contact.
JA: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: Yes I believe both parents (my son and his partner) have solicitors who they have been in touch with but all I have been told is that they are doing everything they legally can (?) but meanwhile the parents are being allowed very limited contact which is apparently decreasing next month and they have been told that the social workers need to collect ALL the girls clothes, toys etc ASAP (as if they have already decided that they are never going back home!).
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: It’s a bit complicated as we have been through all this a few years ago. I had the eldest child living with me and my late husband for about a year and my sister had the other living with her so that they wouldn’t have to be removed from the family. When it was decided that they would have to be taken into foster care,I and my sister and my daughter all applied to be full time careers but were all turned down for one reason or another.

In essence you do not have any rights to contact, you can speak to social services who may keep a note on record to say you would speak to the children if they in future express a desire to contact you but they may not as that is typically only available for birth parents not grandparents and you cannot insist on contact. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks but that really wasn’t the answer I wanted to hear. As the children are only young (6 and 7 this year) I don’t suppose anyone will will ask them what they want but thanks anyway. I thought grandparents had rights these days…………..apparently I was wrong. Regards ***** *****

I understand but I have to be honest with you. Take care

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
As I am unaware of all the details relating to the conversations between Social services and my son and his partner and their contacts with their solicitors it would be pointless. I just wanted to know if I had the right to contact with my beloved grandchildren or not.

I am afraid not no. Take care

Jeremy Aldermartin and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Sorry I can’t leave a tip but I have very limited means. But it doesn’t mean I’m not grateful for the advice because I am, very! Thanks again. Regards Diane.

I understand, take care