How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JeremyT1020 Your Own Question
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 953
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JeremyT1020 is online now

Help with preparing a statement for a court hearing, yes it

Customer Question

Help with preparing a statement for a court hearing
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in the family court?
Customer: yes it is a final hearing for a specific issue order
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: east London family court
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: we already had cafcass involvement and my daughters father has agreed to the name change which is why I applied for the specific issue order as I am trying to get her a passport. The report from cafcass was submitted to the courts and now a final hearing has been set and I have been told I need to submit a statement
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 10 days ago.
Good morning and thank you for your question. I'm a solicitor specialising in family law and dispute resolution so I'd be happy to offer some guidance on this matter.I'll need a little more information to fully answer your question. First and foremost, how old is your daughter? Is it simply the case that he is refusing to sign the papers for a passport? What does the report say?Thanks, J
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Good morning. My daughter is 13 years old and has not ad any contact with her father for 11 years. I changed my daughters surname to my surname via deed poll a couple years ago as she requested so. But now she needs a passport for a school trip I applied for a specific issue order to be able to have it official on her passport. She is known as my surname everywhere, schools doctors dentist everywhere. There has been no contact with her father due to violence and me and my daughter having to be emergency moved because of his actions towards us. When I applied for the specific issue order cafcass were involved and interviewed both me and her father. In the report it states her father agrees to the surname and does not want anything to do with my daughter and does not want any more to do with the matter. So the instructions to the judge from cafcass was to agree to the name change. I have a copy of the report. I then received a court hearing n that states we both have to attend and supply statements for the final hearing. I am not aware of what the statement should say or how I go about writing it or to address it.
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 10 days ago.
Hello again. The call offer is a site-generated pop-up, by the way. I cannot take a call at this moment in time do I'd prefer to message.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have sent a message back with the details of the situation.
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 10 days ago.
If the father is not attending the hearing and wants nothing to do with his daughter, you probably don't need to say an awful lot in the statement.You'd probably try and keep it down to a couple of pages. You'd describe a little bit of your history - who you are, when you had your daughter, when he last saw her, etc. After that, you'd probably detail your efforts to resolve this matter and explain why you need the passport (obviously!). Finally, you'd state that you agree with the CAFCASS report findings and ask the court to grant you the specific issue order.
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 10 days ago.
Here's a link to a very good sample statement:
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Great! Thank you very much for your help!! Do I take the statement along with me on the day? Or does it need to be submitted? I have been trying to call the court for a while now just for some advise on how it’s submitted but no one never gets back to me even after so many emails I have been told to send also
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 10 days ago.
The statement should be submitted in advance. There should be a date on the last court order saying when you should submit the statement to the court. It's normally a couple or few weeks before the final hearing.
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 10 days ago.
You can submit it by email but make sure you get a read receipt. Also, print a couple of physical copies and take them with you on the day, just in case.
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 10 days ago.
I don't know if a CAFCASS officer is also attending but, if so, send a digital copy of your statement to them as well.
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 9 days ago.

Hello again.  Do you need any further help with this question? J

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
That’s everything thank you. Submitted my statement today thank you very much
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 8 days ago.
Well done! I'm glad to have helped. Please feel free to ask for my help if you ever need any questions answered at a later date as I'd be delighted to help. In the meantime, thank you for your question and for using Just Answer. Best wishes, J
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you! If the hearing doesn’t go in my favour I will deffinately be in touch! Thanks again
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 8 days ago.