How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9100
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

My ex fiancé cheeted on me last year. And was also messaging

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: My ex fiancé cheeted on me last year. And was also messaging up to 50 other people We split just before xmass. We have a house and 2 kids. I've been paying everything for the past 6 years up until about 2 months ago. And now I'm paying 150 a week and all the utility bills. I want to sell the house to cut financial ties. There is a possible 130-160k profit in the house if it sells. I just want to sell and split the money then pay what I need to for the girls. She says she isn't moving to a smaller house and the only way she wants to do it is re mortage and give me 20k then the rest if she decides to sell in 12 years when the girls are 16. .
JA: Has your ex talked to a lawyer about this? What country does your ex live in? If different, what country does this legal question relate to?
Customer: I'm not sure? She said she has talked to people and that I can't do anything about it She is in the uk
JA: What steps has your ex taken so far?
Customer: She has just said how much I have to pay according to what she thinks and what she says she has researched
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I'm onnthe verge of a breakdown because everything I have worked for to give them all a better life has been taken and I'm having to pay o er 400 a week to cover the payments to her and the pay.ents to the house I am currently renting. I only get paid 400 a week
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I want everything to be as fair as possible but it just feels everything is to benefit her and nothing matters to what I want.
Expert:  plclegal replied 6 days ago.

Hello and thank you for the question. I’ll do my best to assist you and provide an accurate and speedy response. Please bear with me as this is an email service and not live chat, replies will not be instant as a result. Also note that the discussions here are for general information purposes only and do not constitute a lawyer client relationship.

Let me just review your query and I’ll come back to you with any points I need clarifying in order to be able to answer.

Expert:  plclegal replied 6 days ago.

Can you confirm what size property this is and what she would realistically need to house her and the children?

Are you also having regular contact with the girls and do they come to stay with you?

Are you both in employment and able to take out a mortgage?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The house is a 4 bedroom 3 bathroom that is 2x the size of an average 3 bedroom house. Realistically a 2-3 bedroom house but nowhere near the size of what she is in now. .
Yes I have as much contact as I want.
They were staying with me 3 nights one week and 2 the next then every other weekend but we have changed it to every wed night and every other weekend so I can try make more money to cover all the bills.
She is employed and I am director of a Ltd company I'm unsure on what mortage we can get and aparently she can get one for 140k but I'm unsure on what she has based that on?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi can we carry on with the chat..
Because of the situation I can't afford any thing
Expert:  plclegal replied 6 days ago.

Yes of course.

It seems to me that she is being very unreasonable. There is plenty of equity to rehouse both of you and you both need to provide a home for your children.

She can also afford a mortgage herself.

I would suggest that you stick to your guns, tell her that she is living in cloud cuckoo land and there is no way that the courts would agree that she sits in a house that is far too big for the family's needs with lots of equity in the property, whilst you are renting for the next 10+ years.

You aren't married, so the starting point is that you split the asset equally.

As long as this provides enough for you both to fund new homes for the children to live with each of you, the court will approve a sale.

It may be that you have to invest a little money in a solicitor writing to her to tell her this in plain and simple terms.

Can I clarify anything more?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thankyou that has lifted a little but of a weight off my shoulders
I thaught I was just going to have to deal with it.
I will get a solicitor sorted hopfuly it will not cost to much.
Honestly since the split. I have not been able to focuse on work as much as I should the buisness was always above 16kin the band and now it over 20k under everything is just gone down the pan because of it.
Is there a solicitor you can recommend to draft somthing up for me?
Expert:  plclegal replied 6 days ago.

Happy to help, and I hope that you are able to resolve this sooner rather than later.

I can't give a recommendation but you can search with the link here:

Can I assist further today?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thankyou I will take a look.
Not unless you have any info you think I need
Expert:  plclegal replied 6 days ago.

I think thats all from my end, and I was happy to assist you today.

Thank you for your enquiry today. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. You can request me personally on a new question thread saving my profile as one of your preferred experts and by tagging me (@PLCLEGAL) at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter.

Have a great day!