How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4962
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I am separated from my husband of 20 years and I am looking

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I am separated from my husband of 20 years and I am looking through the options of either legal separation or divorce?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in the family court?
Customer: not yet as we are trying to come to agreements with terms of dividing assets
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Twickenham
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: we have 2 teenagers daughters leaving with me full time as my husband moved out last year. We have a house which I live with kids and we own flat which is being rented out.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.
Hi welcome to justanswer
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I would like to find out about the difference in legal separation and divorce?As we own also flat (rented at the moment and its a buy to let property).
Also we have a business which is a source of income to both of us.
All assess got mortgages attached.
My proposition is to stay with kids in this house until they complete full time education (younger daughter is 14 ) and possibly put the property deed on my name and the flat on his name.Although I am not sure If I make a sense of dividing out matrimonial properties without divorce in place?
My husband opposes the idea of divorce as it does not make financial sense.
Please kindly advice
Many thanks
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. Legal separation allows for you to state you are legally separated without the formalities of a divorce. This however does not have the finality of a divorce and does still tie both of you together financially.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.

This means therefore that you may still pursue a claim against each other financially even with signing up for a  separation. The only way to ensure things have ended between you both is to have a divorce and to also apply for a clean break order. What you have proposed with respect to the separation/division of assets is not unreasonable and could be filed in court by way of a consent order.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.

 Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for the answer.
However I am desperate to draw some agreements(conset order) .
Is consent order possible without official divorce?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.

A Clean Break Order is a financial settlement agreed by both parties, which ends the financial ties between you and your ex-spouse after divorce. This is usually a part of a divorce proceeding 

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add the nameCustomeras a favourite expert. You may also tag me in a question starting off with @Readylaw.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,


Customer: replied 4 days ago.
If there is no divorce and only legal separation is consent order accepted?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 4 days ago.

The Consent order with respect to finances is usually apart of the divorce proceeding

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hello,I would like to find out if my husband and I could sign a document which transfers deeds of our properties( I leave in the house with two kids and he leaves now in our buy to let flat ) to our separate names?With getting divorce we would be financially worse off with regards ***** ***** .Could you suggest a way in splitting the assets (Trust ?)without too dramatic outcome.We have mortgages on both properties.Many thanks
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 3 days ago.

Thanks for coming back to me for further assistance. As this is outside the scope of your initial enquiry. I ask kindly for you to raise a new question for the attention ofCustomer I will be happy to assist you then.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Good morning,
Many thanks for your email.Please advice how to get an answer to the above question.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 3 days ago.

Please raise a new question on the platform. You may ask for it to be forwarded toCustomeror it can be left open for any expert to answer.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Many thanks for the last email.My biggest question is regarding the financial split.Would you be able to help with that respect?What would be the charges for that services?
Many thanks
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 2 day ago.

Unfortunately we do not offer representational services. I am therefore unable to represent I am only able to give guidance on the law.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Hi,Could you please explain th £40 fees for monthly services. Many thanks
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 2 day ago.

Kindly contact our customer services team. They will be able to review this with you.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
What time are you open till please and what's your number?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 2 day ago.

Here is the number for customer services. It is a 24 hour service