How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2062
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

My ex-husband has stopped paying child maintenance, My

Customer Question

My ex-husband has stopped paying child maintenance
JA: How old is the child? Where does he live?
Customer: My children are 13 and 16. There live between the two of us. The court order was for him to pay £500 a month in child maintenance and £183 for my car lease
JA: Is there an agreement for payment of child support?
Customer: Yes
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 7 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 7 days ago.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 7 days ago.

Is CMS involved?

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 7 days ago.

If there is a private arrangement for child maintenance that has broken down due to non-payment, the CMS can step in to collect ongoing child maintenance.

This is provided the arrangement was made legally binding via a consent order at least 12 months prior. The CMS cannot recoup any arrears the paying parent already owes, though you could approach the court to enforce the consent order and recover the debt.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 7 days ago.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
My ex claims he cannot afford to pay it but is renting a house for £50000+ a year. Takes expensive holidays and has a house keeper and gardening etc. I know that he can easily afford the small amount he was ordered to give me. It sounds ridiculous but he is very controlling and his reason for stopping payment was when I went on holiday with my boyfriend.
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 7 days ago.

Is this a family-based arrangement?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
CMS are not involved. Is that my best option?
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 7 days ago.

Yes, there are many steps you can take to recover 'child maintenance' from your ex-husband. You can try to make an application with CMS directly. They can be contacted at 0800(###) ###-#### Their representative will be able to guide you further and will notify your ex-husband that you are claiming child maintenance.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 6 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.