ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

My partner Ben, and his ex are in a dispute about the

Customer Question

Hi there,My partner Ben, and his ex are in a dispute about the property, I have already spoken to a property solicitor. My question is this,1. The property is a family home (me, my daughter and soon to be Ben's son as well)
2. Baby is due in January, my daughter is currently 3.So, is it my understanding that the court will not force a sale if the children are under the age of 18 and this is their family home?What is a reasonable age to ask the court to postpone the sale of the property too?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.
Hi welcome to justanswer
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
nothing else
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. Yes you are correct, you may make an application to the court for the house not to be sold in light of their being minors involved. Usually, the court may defer a sale until the children attain the age of 18 years.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
perfect that you. Her solicitor is saying that the court will find it 'unreasonable' so what will a reasonable age be that we can counter with the solicitor too? Can you let me know under what section of the law this falls?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hello?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.

There is no set section of the law that stipulates what age is required in these circumstances. This is really up to the judge’s discretion. In practice asking for the house to be sold when the children attain the age of 18 years is not at all uncommon.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add the nameCustomeras a favourite expert. You may also tag me in a question starting off with @Readylaw.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,

Customer/p>