How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6368
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

I would like to get divorced my wife left me just over two

Customer Question

I would like to get divorced my wife left me just over two years ago and she has gone her way and I have gone mine,now the is no money or house it’s just a strate spilt
JA: Was the house purchased during the marriage?
Customer: no rented
JA: Were any marital funds used for the mortgage or property improvements?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am on Universal Credit
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 6 days ago.

Hello, how are you today? 

My name is***** would be nice if you could let me know your name, so that I know who I am talking to. I am going to see if I can assist with your query. I may need to ask you additional questions and it is important for you to answer all the questions clearly, so that I have the information I need to give you an accurate response for your specific legal situation. JA is a Q&A website, and this ‘chat’ is email based, which means responses may not be immediate. Do rest assured however, that I will be providing you with an answer to your query today.

The site will offer a phone call, this is automated and it is important for you to know that I do not make calls. I will answer your query online.

Please confirm that you have read and understood this message and then we can begin.

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 6 days ago.


Expert:  SASH_Law replied 6 days ago.

Divorce proceedings have now changed (from 6th April 2022). The first stage no longer has to be issued by one spouse, they can make a joint application if they wish. This clearly removes the element of blame involved as in previous divorce law. No one has to say what caused the marital breakdown, just that the marriage is over. It allows couples to split amicably.

The law demands a 20 week period of time from application to the issuing of the conditional order (previously called decree nisi), and then a further six weeks until the final order (decree absolute). Therefore it will take at least six months for the divorce to go through from start to finish (all things being equal - financial proceedings could delay this).

The biggest change is that you can divorce without blaming the other party - only one person needs to provide a legal statement to say the marriage has broken down irretrievably, and this statement is conclusive evidence and cannot be contested. The application costs £593.

If on a low income/benefits, fee remission may be available.

Form D8:

Online system:

EX160 form:

More info on the process:

Online fee remission:

You can find an authorised and regulated solicitor here:

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 6 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 6 days ago.

If you have new questions and wish to ask for my assistance, you can do so by putting FORCustomerONLY in the subject heading of a new thread. Alternatively, once you have rated this question, you will get the option to add me as a favourite expert from your membership page. Then, when you wish to ask me another query, you can then simply type “@“ followed by my name in your next chat, e.g. @SASH_Law.

Please note that there is no need to respond to this message.

Thanks for using JA! All the best!