How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JeremyT1020 Your Own Question
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 959
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JeremyT1020 is online now

I own a house abroad which i built with my owm finances

This answer was rated:

I own a house abroad which i built with my owm finances husband did not contribute anything does he have a claim during divorce
JA: Was the house purchased during the marriage?
Customer: Yes
JA: Were any marital funds used for the mortgage or property improvements?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Good evening and thank you for your question. I'm a solicitor specialising in family law and dispute resolution so I'd be happy to offer some guidance on this matter.I'll need a little more information to fully answer your question. First and foremost, how long were you married? When did you build the house abroad? Do you have any other assets? Do you have any dependent children?Thanks, J
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Through out our marriage i have paid all bills and provided for the family while he gave excuses now i want to divorce
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Married since 1994
We have 3 children 26 yrs , 29 and 15 all still living at home.
We do not have joint savings
I have my own bank accounts and he has his own
House abroad was built from 2015 to 2019 is on rent now . Title deeds are in my name alone.
We dont own a house here . We are joint tenants for a housing association .
I work Sonographer self employed . He does support work on and off minimal work as he was unwell when we first came to the Uk in 2005 he has mainly not worked while i worked as a Radiolgrapher first and did university became sonographer. He has also done public health uni course but never told me why he did not graduate now he is going 3rd year law course he started without telling me .
I have been financially responsible for the household through out
Good morning and thank you for your replies.The starting point for any financial division following a divorce is a 50:50 split of the assets. There's a number of factors which may alter that division including dependent children (and ensuring a roof over their heads), the length of the marriage, respective ages, health, income differentials, pension provision, living standards, needs and fairness.I note you've been married for a long time and you have grown-up children. Accordingly, the house abroad would be considered "matrimonial property" irrespective of whether your husband contributed to it or not.You and your husband would need to obtain values of all the property and assets of the marriage (known an "financial disclosure"). Following that, you can work out the value of the entire matrimonial pot and negotiate on how to divide it.
JeremyT1020 and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you