How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rakhi Vasavada Your Own Question
Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial Advisor
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 4546
Experience:  Attorney and Financial Expert. Have specialization in Financial Laws.Practice experience of over 13 years
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Rakhi Vasavada is online now

Hi Before I moved into my, soon to be ex, boyfriends house

Customer Question

Before I moved into my, soon to be ex, boyfriends house we agreed on what 'rent' I would pay and that I would pay half of all bills. In the four years I've lived with him I have always paid on time, or even early when he's been struggling. Two months after I moved in he insisted on a £500 'deposit'. I can't remeber the reason why or the threats he made to me if I didn't pay it. He even stood over me whilst I transferred the money into his account. I have mentioned I'm not happy and if things don't change will be moving out - he has told me I have to give him 30 days notice or I won't get my 'deposit' back. Can he do this? We don't have a formal tenancy/ rent agreement.

My other query is with regard to a loan of £8000 I made to him last January. He hasn't worked a day since I moved in and was in a financial mess so I offered him a no interest loan. He paid back £3800 but then decided as he did most of the work around the house I needed to pay him for his time and won't pay me another penny off the loan. I've never agreed to paying him for his time. What can I do to get the rest of my money back?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 4 years ago.

Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.

I feel so sorry to hear about the mess. However, I am afraid you might have to take some tough decisions as well.

To begin with, from what I can make out from your question, you do not have any written agreement regarding the loan that you have made out to him. Also, leaving some financials matters apart, I also see your friend has resorted to some intimidation as well.

In this case, I feel you have two options here. To begin with, I would advice you seeking local legal opinion to file a criminal complaint against him for intimidating you. You can also approach small claims court to recover your money.


The following is for your general reference:

I am sure this would help.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question.

Warm Regards