How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rakhi Vasavada Your Own Question
Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial Advisor
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 4550
Experience:  Attorney and Financial Expert. Have specialization in Financial Laws.Practice experience of over 13 years
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Rakhi Vasavada is online now

I was a director of a company that closed. I had to pay personal

This answer was rated:

I was a director of a company that closed. I had to pay personal guarantees to some suppliers and the Bank when the company closed. I am now selling a property that I own and will have capital gains tax to pay on it. My accountant says I can't claim relief on the money that I am repaying for the personal guarantees, is this correct ?
Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.

I would beg to differ from your accountant. In capacity of the director, you in effect put money into the company to pay off the bank, and on the basis that the company is not able to make any repayment on that loan, a capital loss is due.

On similar lines, a director's loan account, which cannot be repaid on insolvency is available for relief against capital gains tax only.

So, to sum up, I feel you CAN claim relief on the money that you are repaying for the personal guarantee from what I understand from your situation.

I would suggest you to have second opinion on this from another local accountant.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question.

Warm Regards,
Rakhi Vasavada and other Finance Specialists are ready to help you