How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rakhi Vasavada Your Own Question
Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial Advisor
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 4550
Experience:  Attorney and Financial Expert. Have specialization in Financial Laws.Practice experience of over 13 years
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Rakhi Vasavada is online now

Can my ex employer withhold my pension. I admitted miss use

Customer Question

can my ex employer withhold my pension. I admitted miss use of a credit card and went to court and have since paid back what the courts awarded. That was 4 years ago and recently they refused to allow me to go to a pension seminar and I have decided to
take my pension at a reduced rate and with a tax free cash lump sum. This was 3 months ago and they are not responding to my email or telephone and have not paid my pension fund. Can they do this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 2 years ago.
Dear Friend, Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you. NO, they cannot withhold your pension at this stage. They are just behaving with a revengeful attitude. From what I understand from your situation is -- You have settled all the dispute and have paid up all that the courts awarded. So, no amount is outstanding against you. Your ex-employer has no business withholding your pension. My advice would be to send them a registered / certified mail and ask them to release your pension. Also write that if they are withholding any pension, ask them to justify in writing as to why they are doing so. Convey them in no unclear terms that either they should NOT withhold your pension OR reply in writing to you justifying their reasons to do this in a stipulated time frame, say for example 10 working days. If you do not receive any satisfactory resolution to this, you have options to take action against your ex-employer. You have option to approach pension regulator. Please refer the following link. I am sure this would help. You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question. Warm Regards,