How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rakhi Vasavada Your Own Question
Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial Advisor
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 4556
Experience:  Attorney and Financial Expert. Have specialization in Financial Laws.Practice experience of over 13 years
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Rakhi Vasavada is online now

I am currently self-employed in the UK. What is the best way

This answer was rated:

I am currently self-employed in the UK. What is the best way to set up a pension plan? And will my LTD company place pretax dollars into my pension on my behalf.Can I place pre tax dollars into a Foreign country pension plan?

Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.

This can be done broadly in 3 ways.

Most self-employed people use a personal pension for their pension savings.

With a personal pension you choose where you want your contributions to be invested from a range of funds offered by the provider.

The provider will claim tax relief at the basic rate of tax on your behalf and add it to your pension savings.

How much you get back depends on how much is paid in, how well your savings perform, and the level of charges you pay.

There are three types of personal pension:
•Ordinary personal pensions - which are offered by most large providers
•Stakeholder pensions - where the maximum charge is capped at 1.5% and you can stop and start premiums without penalty, and
•Self-invested personal pensions - which have a wider range of investment options, but usually higher charges.

Read more here.

However, if eligible, to use the NEST Option.

Alternatively, self-employed people can also use NEST (National Employment Savings Trust) which is the workplace pension scheme created by government for auto enrolment.

It’s run as a trust by the NEST Corporation which means there are no shareholders or owners and it’s run for the benefit of its members. Although NEST is primarily for people who are employed, they also allow some self-employed people to save with them.

Your LTD cannot place any pre-tax dollars into foreign country pension plan. Also, you cannot do it. All contributions have to be after tax.

I am sure this would help.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question.

Warm Regards,

Rakhi Vasavada and other Finance Specialists are ready to help you