Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial Advisor
Experience:  Attorney and Financial Expert. Have specialization in Financial Laws.Practice experience of over 13 years
43581946

I recently moved a to a rented property with my family. I

Customer Question

I recently moved a to a rented property with my family. I have been staying here for the last year and l registered as a voter so yes lam on the electoral register at this address.Ever since l have been at this address l have had problems with obtaining CREDIT even for the simplest credit check. At my previous address l never had any problems even though l was renting too.I was even able to HIRE CARS without a problem. Now since l moved to this new address l cannot even hire a car. Its not as if l have recently got a new CCJ at this new address or new judgement against me. At my old address my credit was fair but now it is said to be VERY POOR...WHY..? Just before l moved to this new address l had obtained two cars (one as a lease deal and the other on hire purchase). I am paying my bills here and do not have any new debt at this address.
It made me have one CONCLUSION..., that this house is BLACK LISTED..?? OR did the Landlord do something to ensure no tenant can obtain credit at this address..? Is there any way a landlord can "block" their property so that NO CREDIT can be obtained at the address.? I have never asked the landlord about this. I really want to know what is happening. I like this property but l am now considering to move because of this problem.
Please explain what could be happening or any possibilities or what l can do to check what the problem is.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 10 months ago.

Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.

NO. There are no chances that the address that you have moved in to is black listed. It never happens that way.

It's common to hear people suggest that an address can be blacklisted and you can be hit by someone else's bad debts, but credit reference experts say that the idea of properties being blacklisted is an urban legend.

When you apply for any credit, the lenders see information only about YOU and nothing else. Details of another person – current or previous – at the same address will only show up if you have a financial association with them, such as a joint mortgage or bank account.

The most remote chance is that your land lord might have bad credit history on that address.

I would best advice you to obtain a copy of your Credit Report AFRESH and see if everything is okay. Otherwise, I see no reason for such refusals. Addresses usually have nothing to do with this.

I am sure this would help.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question.

Warm Regards,

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your response. I still really do not understand why l am not even able to rent a car at this address yet l have a FULL CLEAN UK drivers licence.? This is really worrying me as l was able to hire from the same company on my previous address.I am on the electoral register at this address but l think l am not on the the "full version" . l opted out of the "open register". Do you think that would be the reason..??? Would you recommend l check exactly which part of the register l am on..? Recently l opened a Bank account in branch ( so provided ID..bills etc) and the Bank sent me debit card and cheque book . However a few days later l received a letter from the same bank saying there are CLOSING my account and cancelling the card because the bank has found "some adverse" information on me. That really upset me and l never got to find out what it was. Which credit reference agency would you recommend l approach..? to clarify what is happening with my name.
Finally, what else do you think l can do to help my self in this situation because l am planning to buy a house in the next 12 months but l know this would be nearly impossible as things stand.