Peter
Peter, Chartered Tax Advisor
Experience:  Director at PDS Tax Limited
105623467

I will give you some info about my story. So who was leaving

Good morning, my name is***** will give you some info about my story. So I am Greek who was leaving and working at the UK the last 7 years. A few months ago, I became a British citizen, so now I have dual nationality. UK-Greece have an agreement for the double taxation. Now I came back to Greece and I started working here and paying tax in Greece. Do I have to inform HMRC that I left the UK? Is there an y procedure that I have to follow?
JA: Have you talked to a financial professional about this?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I told the Greek finance department that I now live in Greece and pay taxes here. I am not very sure what (if) I have to do with the UK departments?

Hi Phil. Since you arrived in the UK what non-UK income and capital gains have you received?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When I was living at the UK 2013-2018 I didn't receive any non-UK income or capital gains. And now that I am living in Greece I only have income from Greece.

If I assume that you were working full time when you were in the UK it is likely that you would be considered as a UK tax resident from 2013 to 2018. As such, during that time, you would be subject to tax on your worldwide income and gains. However since you had no non-UK income or gains and you were paying tax in the UK it sounds as though you did everything correctly.

Now that you have left the UK there is obligation for you to inform HMRC.

However it may be worth calling or writing HMRC to explain that you have left the UK if:

• They have asked you to complete a tax return and you don’t have any income or gains to report

• If you were an employee and you left part-way through a tax year you may be due a refund as you would not have received all of your personal allowance via pay as you earn (PAYE)

If you have any follow up questions, I am happy to help. Otherwise please consider a 5 star rating for my answer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks a lot for your answer Peter, I left at the very end of the financial year, so I doubt that I will have a refund. I was working at civil service so I have never done a tax return. So I think it will be ok not to call them! Thanks again!