Adam Hunt
Adam Hunt, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA, FFA, FFTA
105330465

I am self-employed. I currently use my car for both personal

I am self-employed. I currently use my car for both personal and business use and claim the mileage for any business-related travel. I am thinking about buying a van, which will be purely for the business. I am trying to work out if I am best just buying it and claim the mileage as I do at the moment or if it will be more beneficial (from a tax perspective) to put the van expenses through my accounts.

Hi I am one of the experts. If you buy Van, then you will be able to put Capital Allowance every year against your income tax. Also then you can claim fuel and maintenance of car, etc.

On the other hand, if you want to have Mileage allowance then you can do so also.

So you need to choose one of the methods between actual expenses incurred and mileage allowance claim. Hope I have answered your question. Please rate me before you leave.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you..is there generally a time when one option is better than the other? ie depending upon the number of miles you do etc?

Yes, if while working out both models. One model is allowing you to put more expenses than surely that model will become more beneficial. But please stick to one model once the comparison is made.

Please do rate me before you leave.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
that's obvious, even to me! What I was asking was if there was a general guide ie. if you do over 10,000 business miles a year than you're generally better off claiming for fuel, maintenance etc separately, rather than claiming the miles. But it's OK, I'll work it out myself..

It all depends on individual circumstances. Thank you and good luck.