RodneyA814
RodneyA814,
Experience:  Expert
109850674

I have shares held in company that changed name and trading

I have shares held in company that changed name and trading under new stock exchange ticker - should my shares in old ticker be transferred automatically or have I lost investment
JA: Have you talked to a financial professional about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ticker name change evrh too moth on London stock exchange . My holding was in old evrh - hope this helps

Hello there,

A company name change, particularly if accompanied by a change in the stock's ticker symbol, usually implies that a substantive issue affecting the stock price has already occurred. All publicly traded stocks employ a stock transfer agent, usually a bank trust department, which actually effects the management decision to change the company name and notifies stockholders of the change.

The shares in the old ticker should therefore be transferred automatically and you should be notified accordingly.

If the name change occurred after the company had been acquired by another company, you may receive notice that the company has been purchased for cash, an exchange of stock or both. The old company name may have been eliminated but may continue to exist as a division of the purchaser. Under such circumstances any outstanding stock may not be easily marketable or exchanged for stock in the acquiring company. If the purchase of the company was for cash, then you may receive a check for the stock purchase. Tax consequences may follow as any gain then would be liable to Capital Gains Tax.

You therefore need to determine the circumstances of the name change to know whether you still have the shares or not.

Please let me know should you have further questions.