RodneyA814
RodneyA814,
Experience:  Expert
109850674

I am a UK national and I moved abroad in March 2021 to

Hi, I am a UK national and I moved abroad in March 2021 to Chile. I will be renting out my flat in Uk through an Estate Agent. I have filled in the NR1 form to receive the rent gross and will fill in the self assessment at the end of the tax year.
Must I also fill in a Double Taxation Treaty Relief? HMRC mentioned that there is an agreement with Chile.
Can I choose to pay the tax in the UK even though I don't live there and if I can then do I still have a personal tax allowance per annum?

Hello there,

You claim the double taxation relief (DTR) when you file your self assessment return at the end of the tax year.

The double tax agreement between UK and Chile will set out the country you pay tax in, the country you apply for relief in and how much relief you get.

You should be able to refer to the UK/Chile Double Taxation Agreement on the HMRC website to find out which country you pay the tax in.

Let me know should you require help with that.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. I guess I need to fill in the double taxation form beforehand as this must be stamped by the tax office in Chile and nothing is quick here.
Must I also fill in a P85?

You usually fill in the P85 form to inform the HMRC you are leaving the UK but seems like you've been away from the UK for a while now. Anyway, it causes no harm to submit it.