How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RodneyA814 Your Own Question
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 173
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Finance Question Here...
RodneyA814 is online now

I am a UK national and I moved abroad in March 2021 to

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am a UK national and I moved abroad in March 2021 to Chile. I will be renting out my flat in Uk through an Estate Agent. I have filled in the NR1 form to receive the rent gross and will fill in the self assessment at the end of the tax year.
Must I also fill in a Double Taxation Treaty Relief? HMRC mentioned that there is an agreement with Chile.
Can I choose to pay the tax in the UK even though I don't live there and if I can then do I still have a personal tax allowance per annum?
Many thanks

Hello there,

You claim the double taxation relief (DTR) when you file your self assessment return at the end of the tax year.

The double tax agreement between UK and Chile will set out the country you pay tax in, the country you apply for relief in and how much relief you get.

You should be able to refer to the UK/Chile Double Taxation Agreement on the HMRC website to find out which country you pay the tax in.

Let me know should you require help with that.

RodneyA814 and other Finance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. I guess I need to fill in the double taxation form beforehand as this must be stamped by the tax office in Chile and nothing is quick here.
Must I also fill in a P85?

You usually fill in the P85 form to inform the HMRC you are leaving the UK but seems like you've been away from the UK for a while now. Anyway, it causes no harm to submit it.