fordspec
fordspec, Ford Technician
Experience:  ford technician
41133646

my car isnt idling

my car isn't idling at the right amount of revs normally 850 RPM(it seems too low maybe 750 RPM) when i accelerate it blows black smoke most of the time, what do you think it is? and how much will cost to get repaired?

Category: Ford
Expert:  fordspec replied 8 years ago.

Hi there welcome and thank you for the question hope i can be of some assistance to your problem

How does the engine its self idle apart from the revs been low is it lumpy and not even?

Has your vehicle lost power since it has started blowing out black smoke and can you hear any hissing noises?

Kind Regards

Neil

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yeah i would say its juddering a little. it has lost some power but its hard to say how much when the turbo kicks in.. i dont get a hissing sound but more of a vibration sound when i go up hills or having to drop a gear to get more power which seems to be happening more often than usual
Expert:  fordspec replied 8 years ago.

Ok then these are prone for problems with injectors and this can cause all sorts of issues, as you say the vehicle is juddering a little and the tick over is low then my first suggestion is to have the leak of on the injectors checked to see if you have faulty injectors as this could be the main cause of that.

I would also have the boost pressure measured and the turbo pipes checked for splits as split hoses will causes x/s black smoke and this is a symptom you have the most common one is the pipe leading up on to the egr valve, if this is ok then the egr needs checking for correct operation as this too can cause x/s black smoke if it is not operating correctly.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

many thanks i thought as much..... i cant find an accept button so let me know if you dont get paid for answering my question... just one more thing how much do you think this will cost to get sorted please breakdown by section ie injector fault and pipe fault.....

very many thanks

Expert:  fordspec replied 8 years ago.

Well first of all you will have to get the injectors tested now depending where you live in the country will depend on cost but normally to have these injectors reconditioned you are looking around £450 plus new injectors pipes.

Again for the pipe you could be looking around £50 for the pipe if it is split for a new one.