Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Hi Ive got an S reg Ford Galaxy diesel. It has started

I've got an S reg Ford Galaxy diesel. It has started making a continuous hissing noise coming from the area of the centre of the dash panel - about where the radio is mounted. The sound is louder on opening up the bonnet and comes from the engine compartment. It has just passed its MOT and there were some advisory comments on the paperwork. One was "air leak from brake servo area". Is this a serious problem? Is it easily fixed?

best wishes

XXXXX XXXXX [email protected]
Hi there Roy ,good evening to you

Ok yes the hissing noise you hear is from the brake vacuum servo
The servo is used to assist the brake /feel effort (this when you press the brake it stops )

Depending on the exact point of the leak (hissing ) you will need to replace the servo unit to resolve it
I have seen a few of these over the years

If the leak becomes excessive it can cause a harder feel brake pedal (loss of vacuum assistance )

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Roy please let me know 
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice 
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 
Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX and have a nice day /evening 

Brian

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Brian

Many thanks for your informative answer. I don't want to enter into a huge exchange of emails but could I just ask some supplementary questions please?

Is the car dangerous to drive with this going on? I am about to drive it to Yorkshire from Devon and back for a holiday.

Is replacing the servo easy to do? One mechanic I spoke to said that it could be complicated because you have to remove so many parts to get to the problem.

What sort of procedure is involved? Does it mean taking the dashboard facia off etc, for example?

Many thanks in anticipation for your patience.

best wishes

Roy

Hi Roy

Ok if it is just a small leak and the pedal and braking effort feel ok eg no hard brake pedal
Then it will be ok to drive it untill you can have it looked at

The brake servo is secured by 4 nuts these nuts are up BEHIND the dash above the pedal area and from memory are a bit of a pain
Even under the bonnet is a bit busy /tight as the servo is right at the back of the engine bay against the bulkhead
Your looking at 2-3 hours labour to carry this out

PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 
Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX and have a nice evening 

Brian