sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

Starting problem. I have a nine-year old Fiesta regularly

Starting problem.

I have a nine-year old Fiesta regularly serviced but kept undriven on drive for a year. When I turn ignition just get regular clicking or drilling sound.

Battery shows 12.04 volts on my voltmeter.

Is this likely to be an ineffective battery or solenoid problem?

All other electric including anti-theft system, seem to work.

Many thanks for any thoughts!

David Grimshaw

Hello, I hope the following is of assistance.

12.04 volts should be enough to allow the engine to turn over, check to see what the voltage is when trying to start the engine, if it drops right down then recharge or replace the battery.

You can check the solenoid and starter operation just measure the voltage at the switch wire and the main feed wire, also with the aid of an assistant check the wiring and starter using the volt drop method, if there is a reading over 0.5 volts then there is a concern in the part of the circuit you just tested.

My only other point at the moment is make sure that you can turn the engine over by hand at least this way you can confirm there isn't an engine concern stopping the starter motor from turning the engine.

Let me know if I can help further and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.