Mike
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi, I have a new 2013 Ford Focus 1.0. 125bhp with Turbo-boost

Hi, I have a new 2013 Ford Focus 1.0. 125bhp with Turbo-boost engine. My question is that I don't have front sensors fitted and was quoted a colossal price for Ford to do this and so I sought another approach. What I have purchased is in fact a camera and monitor kit intended to be for reversing/parking. It is a wireless type with camera transmitter and monitor screen with the receiver. Basically all that I need to do is to get a small twin cable through from the front of the car via the engine compartment and through the bulkhead then couple both power cables with a cigar lighter type power plug and for the short duration of use just plug into the socket and then out again. Problem. The bulkhead seems impervious! There are no small existing cables where I might feed the cable through! I very much hesitate to drill a hole and fit a grommet for fear of some dreadful error in judgement and cause untold problems. I have read several accounts of how to do this but am a bit wary since what I had previously found was regard the same problem but a Ford Mondeo. I wonder if there is a solution and how best to tackle this which is something quite unexpected. My experience having owned more than 30 cars in my time and many Fords has left me up a gum tree since there was generally a way through. I have looked hard under the bonnet and have seen a huge rubber grommet with the loom running through it but this is one heck of a solid thing and just about impervious as it gets. Can you assist please. Any solutions. I would be very happy to get this sorted out. Thanks a million for any help or advice.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you...

I know the problem you have - the newer models get, the worse they get for any such things..

But you have spotted the best way through - through that thick rubber grommet. The only other way is to use a drill through the bulkhead and I really wouldn't advise that ... So that grommet - what we use a is a heated up long piece of welding rod -but you can us anything such like - ie, knitting needle - screwdriver - anything like that - Just keep it to one side of the wires and slowly creep it through - till you feel it !pop! through... then you can feed your cables through as you need.

The only other way , is to take a permanent 12v feed from the back of the fuse box that is up under the dash - You would need to simply probe the wiring with the ign off ( or on if you want it ign fed ) and take it from there once you find a 12v feed... you can even use the cig lighter feed - but that is quite a fiddle to get at - the fuse box would be my preference - or feed up to the ign...
Let me know how you go but either way as you prefer will get this done for you.

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything else -

Please do click on the "OK rating to Excellent ratings" service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mike, not sure if my original reply was posted but Thanks a million, I'll go with your advice and burn a small hole through the large grommet with a heated probe with care and as you say, I can take a wire from the auxiliary fuses. There are a good many unused ones.

Best wishes and thanks again. 5* plus!

from John

Hello again John..

No I didnt get any other reply from other than your one above - (28th @16:16pm)..

But it appears though you are ok / know which way to go so its all good ;)

All the very best John and you know where I am if there is ever anything else for you and / or your family / friends..

Best Rgds - & Thank you for using my self & justanswer -

MIKE.