Robert
Robert, Ford Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have a 2003 Focus, 4 months ago it broke down and I had it

I have a 2003 Focus, 4 months ago it broke down and I had it repaired at a garage I hadn;t used before, they said they'd replaced the starter motor, flywheel and clutch. Last week it would not start, took it to my usual garage and it needed all 3 parts replacing again. Is this just bad luck or does it mean the original work was not done?

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

If those parts were not replaced at the beginning - the second garage or your usual garage would notice this straight away when they removed them again - in that those parts would appear to look new and clean in condition - as oppossed to those 3 parts being on the car for quite sometime..so im not sure as you don't say whether your usual garage showed you these parts that where fitted by the first garage - that would determine or not whether you paid for work that wasn't done in the first place..and whether this initial fault was actually elsewhere on the car as a clutch assembly nor flywheel unless the teeth where worn to prevent the starter to spin the engine over - wouldn't stop the car from starting - a faulty or worn starter motor would..also these parts would have or should have if new depending where sourced would have a manufacturers guarantee on those if they have been found to of failed prematurely..I do hope this helps..If you need to ask anything else or include anything futher then just continue before you rate