Hello and Welcome..
My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help / advise..
You very likely have a broXXXXX XXXXXdle clip or, cable / attachment from the handle inside the to the lock mechanism - or sometimes, they just come disconnected.
As you say ,. the door panel will have to come off to gain access - once you are "in" the door - you can then look to see exactly what the problem is and then deal with as you find.. it will be easy enough to see whats wrong / fix once you are in there..
I will give you an image of a Focus front door -its not the cc model but its the same when it comes to panel removal.. for that click HERE
.. and that shows where the fixing screws are to remove - Removal and Installation
1. Remove the sail panel cover.
2. Remove the door pull handle cover by inserting and twisting a suitable tool into the hole provided.
3. Remove the 2 door pull handle screws.
4. Remove the screw cover, screw and remove the door handle bezel.
- Disconnect the door lock electrical connector.
5. Remove the window control switch.
Four-door and 5-door models have 7 screws. NOTE: The 3-door model is shown above - in the link I have given you.
Remove the 8 front door trim panel screws.
Rotate the front door trim panel upwards to release.
Remove the front door trim panel.
9. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
So thats the way on this one -
Let me know if you need anything else-
..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings"
for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that
You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..