Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

2011 Ford S-Max 2-litre Petrol engine with auto transmission

2011 Ford S-Max 2-litre Petrol engine with auto transmission (Steptronic) and 50k miles shows transmission function limited message alongwith limp mode, all of it goes away on restart.

Hi there , good afternoon o you and sorry for the delayed response

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you today

Ok has a diagnostic fault code check been carried out as yet if so what codes weee logged in the TCM -Transmission Control Module )

Has the powershift gearbox been serviced as advised by fords service schedule every 37,500 miles

Do you experience any juddering or delays in gear change when driving

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Transmission oil and filter were changed at 40k miles.Diagnostics were done, but "transmission function limited" did not show up, somehow it clears after restart. In looking sources of error the wiring harness was replaced as it had a burnt wire. Also the alternator seemed to overcharge at 14.5v (does it need an alternator replaced and could that be the source of transmission error). Initially the problem was not engaging the reverse gear (a restart solved that whenever it happened) afterwards it started showing "transmission function limited" along with going into limp mode, which also corrects itself after a restart.There isn't any juddering that I noticed also no delays in gear change.

Hi thanks

Ok even if issue clears in restart the TCM still logs amand stores the fault code

Was the diagnostic done by a ford dealer

The alternator is a smart charge alternator system and the voltage on charging can vary between 12.8 - 15 volts

14.5 volts is a nice steady charging rate and nothing to be worried about

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Diagnostic was not by a ford dealer but a transmission shop. They could not find any error/code relating to "transmission function limited" message that I keep on getting. Do you recommend a diagnostic by a Ford dealer because they will be able to see error messages that equipment at other shops cannot get to them.

Hi there yes our ford ids diagnostic system is a superior diagnostic system compared with most garages diagnostic tools and is designed to diagnose ford vehicles

The dct450 powershift gearbox is a very complex setup

The fact you have had a transmission malfunction message means that there will be fault code/s logged in the TCM

the ids diagnostic equipment will retrieve these codes

As it's absolutely imperative the correct fault codes are retrieved as if not it can lead to Miss-diagnosis which can be costly when relating to the dct450 powershift gearbox

If you need further help or technical assistance on this issue going forward ie after a fault code check has been done

please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you

If you are satisfied with my answer /advice thus far

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER as this helps to build my online profile and is how Iam accredited

Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day

Any positive feedback /bonuses is kindly appreciated

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian