Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

55 plate ford focus 1.8tdci, cut out and wont start, fault

Customer Question

55 plate ford focus 1.8tdci, cut out and wont start, fault codes are p0490 / u0121,/ and u0001
Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: battery checked and is ok
Assistant: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked all fuses , battery, and earth connections
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: before it cut out the console lights lit up and i lost power, so i switched off and tried to restart but now the immobiliser light flashes quickly then slows to 6 flashes
Category: Ford
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.If you no longer need help post a simple reply to let me know.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here since your question has been sitting for so long.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Check and make sure all fuses are o.k. in all fuse panels.If any fuses have blown the affected fuse(s) need replaced to see if this resolves the fault.If this is or was checked already and found to be o.k. let me know here so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i do still need asisstance, i have already checked all the fuses and all were ok, if you have any more ideas it would be much appreciated
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
sorry i cant afford another payment yet

Unfortunately my info is not covering all of the codes you have listed above.I do see they are communication loss codes and one is loss communication with the anti lock brake computer and the other code is an egr fault code.If the anti lock brake control unit has an internal short this can cause the issue you see here as it can short out the data lines for the engine to run shorting out the engine computer and the anti lock brake computer would need replaced.

Unfortunately since these are no communication fault codes it is difficult to pinpoint from here the component at fault.You would need to have it diagnosed further to locate and repair the faulty component.This would require special test equipment and full vehicle data communications wiring diagrams to do this.But a faulty anti lock brake computer shorting out the data lines can cause this issue with it needing replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete