Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Ford Focus 2013, the carpet at the rear passenger footwell

Customer Question

Ford Focus 2013, the carpet at the rear passenger footwell is sodden with water
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 10 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

If the car has AC then this could be the AC drain pipe thats come adrift or is clogged under the car and backing up the system.

To get to the pipe you access it from under the car

Also worth checking that the door seals don't have any rips or tears and that they're touching all round the door - best way to confirm this is to rub some vaseline into the seal and close the door then when you re-open it check that the grease line is all the way round and check where theres any gaps - as this indicates the seal isn't touching

also check that the sunroof drains are free and clear and these should vent out under the car and can become silted up and rust though due to the trapped water - If you look in the corners of the sunroof well in the roof you should spot a small hole / channel which is the entrance to the drain

and I'd also remove the pollen filter / cabin air and check inside its chamber for any signs of water as these should have a drain for water to escape and they can clog up

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Is this a job for a garage or can a amateur be able to do. The AC doesn't seem to be working particular well at the moment, does the above answer seem to confirm where the trouble lies
Expert:  Matt replied 10 days ago.

replacing the pollen filter is quite straightforward

see here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-ycMEUtqp0

and checking the sunroof drains is quite straightforward , just a case of fully opening the roof and poking some thin wire down the holes in the corners

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
you mentioned the AC, is that an easy job to do?
Expert:  Matt replied 10 days ago.

well to get the AC re-filled is a specialist job as you need a pump to draw it out and re-fill it with fresh gas and oil

typically a specialist garage will ask for about £60 to do this

but if its just the AC drain pipe is blocked up this is quite easy to find and then use a piece of stiff wire to fish around inside to remove any obstruction

you will however need a jack and axle stands to raise the car in the air so you can view underneath to locate the pipe which is just behind the engine bay

Expert:  Matt replied 3 days ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt