sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have a 2009 focus 1.6 tdci. How can i test my glow plug

Customer Question

I have a 2009 focus 1.6 tdci. How can i test my glow plug control module?
Assistant: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: How do I test a glow plug control module? Thanks
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can I test individual glow plug in situ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your mechanic automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Dear customer, would you tell me please why you want to test the module please?
An easy way to test the module if you already replaced the glow plugs is disassemble the glow plugs without unplug them. turn the key to on position without ingite the engine, just to let the dashboard lit and the indicator of the resistance lits on.
When the resistance indicator is on, the glow plugs have to warm up fastly and they may turn to a redish color which indicates that they are hot. If the glow plugs does not warm up the module is defective. if the glow plugs warm up even a little bit, then, the glow plugs are defective.
do you get me dear customer? should i have to explain something else?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How do I test the glow plug control module? I have a 2009 focus 1.6 tdci
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No sorry i dont fully understand.How can i test glow plug control module with a multimeter?

Dear customer, if you want to check it with a multmeter, the connector(plug) where the glow plug fit have to give you a signal when you turn on the key. after this is done please let me know the reads.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have checked everything at the glow plug area......voltage, resistance of individual injectors. All good.I would like to to individually test Glow Plug Control Module also known as a fancy relay

Dear customer, i get it, thanks for your kind replies.
The personal tests that we can do by ourselves you've already done it. ( the resistances, the voltages , the connectors everything is ok)
At this point, if the problem persist, this module only can be tested by an special test bench, which is in the ford garage or in some electric automotive specialist garages.
Because the module is tested by disassembling it it and installing it in the test bench to watch its function.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where is glow plug control module located on 2009 focus 1.6 tdci

Dear customer, i am sorry for my delay.
The module is directly integred in the ECU and the ECU controls the glow plugs.
In the fuse box and engine relays, there is a relay that is the one that controls the unit to activate the glow plugs, in the lid of the fuse box, it will indicate which one is, it is the one with a resistance drew.