Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have just bought myself a 04 StreetKa and it runs hot and

I have just bought myself a 04 StreetKa and it runs hot and the vents on the dashboard get very hot even when the temperature is dialed down to minimum. Had the car checked at a garage and the thermostat works and the fan cuts in at the correct temp. The local garage say there is nothing wrong to fix but something is making the car run so hot I have to have the windows open or boil. Any previous experience of this??
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: Yes the coolant is OK and no leaks are to be seen.
JA: What is the model of your '04 Ford?
Customer: Sorry should have said it's a 1600 StreetKa.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I won't be doing the work myself - and I only collected the Ka from a garage in Ivybridge on Monday and drove it back to Swansea 200 Miles.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Because it got so hot which I noticed after about 1-1/2 hours on the road I had to keep stopping just incase I cooked the cyl.head gasket

Hi there good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response

My name is***** would be happy to assist you today

Ok the most common cause of this issue is a faulty heater control valve (located on the bulkhead ) it has 4 hoses attached to it and a 2 pin multiplug connected to

I always advise checking the wiring /controlled earth to the valve as in some rarer cases the control panel can be the issue

the heater control valve has 2 wire going to it

it has a 12 volt feed on the violet/black wire ( this is powered from fuse 13 ( 15amp)

this is located in the CJB ( just under the steering wheel to the right handside )

also ensure that fuse 2 ( 7.5amp) in the CJB is ok as this powers the heater control panel

the heater control valve is controlled/opened using a variable earth from pin 5 at the heater control panel to pin 2 at the heater control valve ( black/green)

if the heater control valve has been replaced then this is ruled this

the easiest way to check if the heater control panel/wiring to the heater control valve is working is to dissconnect the multiplug and connect either a noid light or a circuit tester ( using a paper clip etc)

and put the temperature dial to the middle ( the light should pulse )

if you turn the dial to fully hot the light will go out if you put the dial to cold it will stay on constant (voltage applied )

As when the valve isn't powered it stays open (hot air )

Also if a heater valve is NON FORD. I have seen the pins being too short in the non ford heater valve to pyshically connect to the multiplug thus leading to constant hot air

If you need any further help or technical assistance going forward

please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you

If you are satisfied with my answer /advice thus far

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER as is how iam

Accredited for my advice and to build my online profile

Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day

positive feedback Is kindly appreciated

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Your advice seems very good and specific - it's going to take a while to get the car booked into my local garage and check it all out.