experteer
experteer,
77184159

Can a 13 year old diesel camper van be converted to LPG

Can a 13 year old diesel camper van be converted to LPG successfully
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: I think it is the original engine with about 70000 miles on it. It was lasted service about 6 months ago
JA: What is the model of your '13 Ford?
Customer: Don't know. It's a transit van I am considering buying but need to know if it can be converted to LPG
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I would need to find a certified LPG installer.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.

Dear customer, thank you for choosing Justanswer. My name is***** would like to help you.

No A diesel engine cannot be retrofitted with LPG.

Conversion to LPG requires a petrol engine, as the LPG gas has similar characteristics to vaporised fuel. LPG gas also requires an ignition system, furthermore the compression pressures of the diesel engine are too high, the gas would ignite uncontrollably.

I would be very happy about a rating with 5 stars over the star bar at the top of the page, without this rating the site operator does not pay us experts.

.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have read that some diesels can be converted but require an electronic ignition system to be installed. Is that incorrect?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you recommend any LPG installers in the South East of England?

No that diesel engines can be retrofitted is completely unknown to me.

The diesel engine has a much too high compression pressure, the gas would already start to burn before the piston would be above. Furthermore the diesel engine has no bore for spark plugs. Also the retrofitting of an ignition system is technically very difficult.

As far as the recommendation of a converter is concerned, I can unfortunately not recommend a workshop.