Philip Wessels
Philip Wessels,
Experience:  owner at point zero
106201380

Do you have any idea what may be causing a severe loss of

Do you have any idea what may be causing a severe loss of power on my son's Focus 1.6 zetec petrol engine, manufactured in 2005. The coil pack was suspected at first but the problem has recurred after it was renewed. AA mechanic was unable to identify the cause but said that his diagnostic software had detected an anomally on an air pressure sensor. He thought the basic problem was fuel supply. Any thoughts would be most welcome.
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: Apparently no trouble codes triggered but engine warning light is lit even when the car was running normally.
JA: What year is your Focus?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We changed the coil pack ourselves but I'm not anxious to tackle a repair of any magnitude myself and would entrust it to a competent garage. The reason for my enquiry is that the local Ford agent has no diagnostic technicians until next week and I would like to resolve this problem sooner if possible.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can't think of anything at the moment thank you.

Hi - My name is ***** ***** I will try and assist you today. :)

Please give me a few minutes to call up some details on the 2005 Focus.

I have had a few customers a similar problem and some of them where due to the Fuel Pressure regulator. It is a very easy replacement. If the mechanic has already licked up an anomaly in this area - I would advise you look at replacing this part.

You should be able to pick one up online for around £20-£40.

I hope that this information has helped you today and please let me know how the vehicle runs after you have replaced the part ?

Please also be so kind as to rate my reply as we do not get paid for unrated answers.

Philip

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for this Phillip. If the problem is fuel supply pressure, would it also be advisable to change the fuel filter as well? To my knowledge, this has never been done previously. Where is the fuel pressure regulator located?

Hi - If you are looking for a quick fix try the sensor first and if the vehicle is doing well then you can decide if you would want to change the fuel filter. It wouldn't hurt of course adding a new one if it has never been replaced. With regards ***** ***** location I can only find a few videos online showing other ford models but this should give you an idea where to look. By using the link I previously sent plus the video links - you should be able to identify it from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8f01Et3lu8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsZDISymoLM

Thank you for the rating - much appreciated.

Hi - just to clarify - it should look similar to the picture attached which is the High pressure Fuel Sensor.