Philip Wessels
Philip Wessels,
Experience:  owner at point zero
106201380

I have just bought a 19 plate Ford Edge st line and have

Hello. I have just bought a 19 plate Ford Edge st line and have just had a fault with the lcd display screen. Since this happened I can now see my number plate in the reversing camera. Is this normal
Assistant: Is this an aftermarket camera, or did it come with the vehicle?
Customer: It’s a brand new car, only had it two weeks. Everything is per factory fitted
Assistant: Are you fixing your Edge yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It’s with the ford dealer
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just need to know if this is normal

Hi - My name is ***** ***** I will try and assist you.

What was the fault with he LCD screen ?

- Seeing your number plate does not sound normal - is there anyway you an take a picture for me and post it here so that I can make a call on the advice to give you ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The lcd screen went completely blank and then when I stopped at lights or junctions the reversing camera screen came on despite the fact that I was in drive. That’s when the number plate first appeared in the reversing camera picture. The car is currently with Ford who said there was a historical fault that they have cleared but the number plate issue is the same. They are now trying to tell me it’s supposed to be like that despite my previous edge not having this nor the new one up till the fault

Let me look into it a little more for you and I will see if I can find a picture online to verify either point. You should also perhaps ask them to demonstrate this on an other vehicle to prove their point - which may end up proving your point if you know what I mean.

I'm doing a little more research for you so thanks for your patience . . .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. I will keep you updated with any more information I get

You a more than welcome - interesting case and want to find out how it should be. I will keep the case open for you while I continue to research.

Please be so kind as to rate my service in the meantime - its always appreciated :)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here is a photo that the ford repair centre have taken of my camera view

Great thank you that really helps.

I see that there is a + (zoom) button top left. If you press that, does the rear view camera not zoom in a little and therefore not 'include' the plate in the view?

In the meantime - I am still doing some research to see what else I can find regarding . . .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I’m just going to collect it now so will let you know.

I don't think the zoom will resolve the issue as it zooms in quite a bit.

But looking at other Ford rear view cams - the don't show the plate.

I would challenge them to show you the same view showing number plate on another ST.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They have sent me these photos of apparently other identical cars

Ok - but I also find images of Fords (not all Edges) that do not show the plated some do a little. Still interesting though that you say it was not showing the plate before the LCD screen issue. I wonder if they can set the camera angle - but that might mess with the guidelines.

I would love to know how this gets resolved as I will be to help future customers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0znZlttKkuc

Please let me know what they say when you collect.

If you could also be so kind as to rate my service to you. I learnt something too on this occasion.

Philip

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello again. There was no resolution on their part and I’m so sick of their attitude that I told them to not even bother speaking to me when I collected the vehicle and that is what happened. They’ve told me that they’ve been in touch with ford technical support and that it’s supposed to be like that despite the fact that I’d rung the same support twice and they told me it shouldn’t. Just had a guts full of them and need to move on. They lie through their teeth and keep changing their story. I have no faith in them whatsoever. Thank you for trying to help me though.

You are more than welcome. I know how they can be very generic and no personal care and thats why JA exists to at least try help our customers resolve issues on a personal basis. If you need anything else please feel free to return at any time.

Philip