CarDoc
CarDoc, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

Passenger headlight not working in low beam mode. Assistant:

Passenger headlight not working in low beam mode.
Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: Bulbs OK found the fuse box and checked the fuse for headlights but not 100 % sure if this is the right one. If I remember correctly it was fuse number 74
Assistant: What is the model of your '74 Ford?
Customer: Ford Ranger 2015 2.2 diesel automatic
Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Bulb and fuse.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Thank you for using JA. I'm Baz, one of the automotive experts, I try to be available in the afternoon on weekdays and in the evenings on the weekend. I apologise if I do not respond to your question promptly, I can assure you that I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you

Have you disconnected the battery recently?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No.

You won't find a blown fuse because the main beam and low beam work on the same fuse. If the car has lost power or somehow the power source has been disconnected, the body control module needs to be reset by Ford.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The lights looked dimmed and the driver side connector is burned but working. Just the passenger side is not. And when you switch to high beam it's fine. Just on the low beam is not working.

So, is the low beam working in only one headlight?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Have you tried swapping the left and right bulbs for the low beam?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've exchanged it with the brand new bulb. Same results.

Do you have power at the connector for the bulb that is not working? Have you tested it with a multimeter?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
9V DC.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Same on both sides.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm guessing the 2 cables are positive and neutral. What is the third cable? CAN?

Do you have a main headlight connector or do you have seperate harnesses for each bulb?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Separate connector for a main, day drive, and indicator.

The 3 wires are low beam, high beam and ground. So you should have power at one of the 3 wires when you switch to low beam and then you will have power at the 2nd wire when you switch to high beam and the 3rd is ground. You need to check if you have power at the correct pin for the low beam, on both sides.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Will check tomorrow morning. Thanks for your help and answers.

Happy to help :) Thank you for using JA.

All the best!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Have checked everything. Traced some cables and could not find anything wrong. I believe it needs to be reset via BCM? Tried to bridge one of another, worked for 2min and gone. It's going to the garage tomorrow or Tuesday. Thanks for your help.

Yes it most likely needs a reset.

Glad I could help. All the best and thank you for using JA!