Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Ford Transit 2011 tickover hunting. Loses power

Ford Transit 2011 tickover hunting. Loses power intermittently on acceleration.Cuts out intermittently on tickover. New fuel valve fitted. Seemed ok for a couple of days but problem now back. Any ideas?

Hi there good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response up

My name is***** would be happy to assist you Today

Just to confirm the only part that has been fitted to try and resolve the issue is the pressure relief valve on the side of the fuel rail

kindest regards ***** *****

brian

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Brian. Sorry I meant to say fuel filter changed, not valve. Regards, Rob
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not fixing it myself but it was at the garage several days due to it being an intermittent problem. They ended up just changing fuel filter

Hi Rob good evening to you and sorry for the delayed response I have been away all day so do apologise

ok to resolve your hunting (erratic idle ) you need to have the PCM(Powertrain Control Module) updated to the latest level and the fuel injector pilot learn values relearnt

this can only be done using the ford IDS software

what happens is the injector base learnt values drift outside the Pre set parameters

and this is what causes your hunting basically erratic fuel pressure is the cause

If you need any further help or technical assistance going forward Rob

please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you

If you are satisfied with my answer /advice thus far

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER as is how iam

Accredited for my advice and to build my online profile

Kind regards in advance and have a nice evening

positive feedback Is kindly appreciated

Kindest regards in advance

Brian

In rare cases this can cause the FPLV (Fuel Pressure Limiting Valve ) to fail if the fuel pressure goes to high(this is a safety feature of the engine management system)

The FPRV is located on the end of the fuel rail

in other cases if the pilot learn fails it can be due to an injector leaking off excessivly

But in my experience after the software has been updated and the injector Pilot learn completed the vehicles run ok

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Brian, thanks for that. The tick over is not the main issue. Most of the time the idling is ok just occasionally does a little hunting. That was the first symptom and has been like that over a year even after engine management unit was reset to factory settings by the garage in March. The newer problem is that after about 20 minutes of driving, typically at a roundabout or other junction from standstill, I put my foot on the accelerator to go and there is a flat response. This means I move forward and then can't get out of the way of oncoming traffic as i'm moving so slowly. Eventually the engine responds but it may take several seconds before it kicks in

Hi Rob thanks

so it’s basically just lack of throttle response that is the issue

is there any smoke from exhaust

is there any warning lights on dash when this occurs

regards in advance

brian

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yes throttle response is the big problem. No warning lights when it happens. No smoke that I'm aware of but then i'm usually looking ahead!

What is the registration number of your vehicle

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's BL11 MPV
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Apologies for the delay in replying. Been away for the weekend and didn't want to bother you then anyway. Regards, Rob
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Brian, do you have any ideas about the current problem?

Hi Rob good morning to you and sorry for the delay in responding

ok as mentioned with this fault you can experience hunting /low idle /low /poor throttle response

What we see happening is that the injectors drift outside the pre defunded parameters

what I would advise is the pcm is updated to the latest level

then

1, the fuel injector correction factors re-entered

2, the high pressure fuel pump learn procedure carried out

3, the fuel injector pilot learn procedure carried out using the ids software

then the fault reappraised

if you are still experiencing the throttle issue we must then look as a possible EGR valve concern or. a boost concern

But the above procedure is advised firstly

If you need any further help or technical assistance going forward

positive feedback Is kindly appreciated

Kindest regards in advance

Brian

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for that Brian. It's going back to the garage on Saturday and I'll try to tactfully offer your advice. Regards, Rob