Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

The resistor has out twice caused my car to over heat,

The resistor has blown out twice caused my car to over heat, Replaced the resistor twice same problem occured. Is there a problem with my fan
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: Yes called AA out on both occaisions checked coolant and botltle they said it was the resistor replaced this twice and engine overheated noticed this happened wheni was in traffic so wanted to know if its anything to do with the fan
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: Fusion+auto 2007 bought it last year October and had nothing but problems the last garage electricians wired it so its running but not with the resistor
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no the garage does it
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is it ok for my car to run without the resistor will it overheat again i want togo on a long journey but am concerned problem may occur again
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hi there good evening o you and sorry for the delayed response

My name is Brian And I would be happy to assist you Tonight

ok just to clarify some one has wired the cooling fan up so it only works on high speed (as the resistor is used for a low variable speed)

Does the cooling fan kick in when the air con is switched on

when does the vehicle overheat ie idling or motorways etc

How long does it take for vehicle to overheat

Does the coolant actually boil over out the resivoir and the fan kicks in

do you know what temperature the vehicle over heats at

what engine is fitted to your vehicle

kindest regards in advance

brian

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Yes it has wired been wired to the cooling fan up so it only works on high speed (as the resistor is used for a low variable speed) is this ok and will this cause any problems for the car
Does the cooling fan kick in when the air con is switched on not sure as air conditioning is not working

when does the vehicle overheat ie idling or motorways etc yes that is correct

How long does it take for vehicle to overheat difficult to say but noticeed it has happed when engine gets hot

Does the coolant actually boil over out the resivoir and the fan kicks in coolant boils out at first it wass considered ti was the coolant bottle and had gthis chaned on three occasions but same problem kept happening so it was then considered it was an electrical problem hence reister changed on two occasions

do you know what temperature the vehicle over heats at over 80 to 100 i think

what engine is fitted to your vehicle not sure car is ford fusion +auto

It has been a process of ilimination to establish the problem with the car. Wondering if its the fan however as not go money to replace fan and buy another resistor repair cost over 200.00 pouns when this was done so hence the car has been wired straight to the cooling fan. My main concern is if this is ok as it was the cheaper option for me to go for. If car is ok to run like this and the problem is not likely to occur again i would want to wait until i can afford to do repairs or get another car please advise. Would be good if i could talk to someone over the phone