Robert
Robert, Ford Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have to rev it a few times, before it goes into gear

I have to rev it a few times, before it goes into gear (automatic) when I'm driving along, it loses the gear, and I have to rev it 3-4 times before it goes into gear again.
Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?
Customer: 107000, the coolant expansion tank, is forcing water out, after a 2 mile trip to work, but the temperature gauge stays the same and doesn't go up.
Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: Ford granada scorpio 2.9i EFI 1989.
Assistant: What year is your Scorpio?
Customer: Are you reading my answers?
Assistant: Are you fixing your Scorpio yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't know, and haven't done anything yet!!
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.

Hi..there..

If you havent done so already - check you gearbox oil level..you should have dipstick for it..if i recall on the drivers side of the engine bay..its grey/bluish dipstick ring pull.. take look at the oil and condition..if it smells burnt/looks black then its an internal issue - if its creamy looking then you oil cooler on the main radiator asblown and coolants entering the gearbox oil or vice versa..not good as that will eventually damage the gearbox beyond repair..ideally if the gearbox oil has never been done for while then it be certainly making that a recommendation from here..as that will give you a better idea on oil condition once its dropped..the sump pan removed and then the filter element taken out again checking what the filter is caught will give a good indication as the health of the gearbox..metallic debris or fine particles would mean the possibility of another gearbox..