Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Ford focus 07 18tdc, running perfect & parked it up

Customer Question

Ford focus 07 18tdc, running perfect & parked it up overnight & came to star it next day & it was trying to start as though it was short of fuel so i changed the fuel filter & now its not even trying !
JA: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?
Customer: external
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, i changed oil & filter
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no just that it was running sweat after changing oil .
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 11 days ago.

Hi there good afternoon to you and sorry for the delayed response

My name is Brian And I would be happy to assist you Today

Ok basically the system has ran dry and is now full of air

The only way to resolve this is To prime the fuel system when fitting new fuel filters the fuel system needs to be primed using a one way hand primer (primer bulb) or vacuum assisted primer with hoses attached in each side

One end connects to the outlet port of the fuel filter housing and the other end into a container/ bottle

The hand primer must be pumped until the filter is completely full of diesel then the pipe can be reconnected and the engine started

In most cases the engine will start and run but in some cases the engine will again cut out

In these cases we leave the hand primer connected between the fuel filter and fuel supply pipe to the pump and continue to pump it until engine starts and leave the primer connected inline and leave idling for a minute or two then quickly dissconnect the hand primer and connect the fuel pipes to the fuel filter

These engines will not start with continued cranking as there is no lift /electric pump in the fuel tank to deliver fuel to the high pressure fuel pump /engine

Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 8 days ago.

Hi there good afternoon to you

how did you get in with our issue regarding my assistance

kindest regards in advance

brian