Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

I have a front headlight malfunction warning light on my

I have a front headlight malfunction warning light on my 2013 ford s-max, even though there isn't anything wrong with any of the lights, all bulbs ok, all connections free from dirt, self levelling motors are working fine. What else could be causing the issue?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: Yep all ok
JA: What is the model of your '13 Ford?
Customer: Titanium X sport 2.0l 160ps
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've check the resistance of all the bulbs and they are all ok, I,ve checked the fuses, I've removed the connections to check for corrosion they are perfect. I'd like to fix it myself to avoid the cost of going to garage
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing other than its a 1 owner no previous issues and 50,000 miles on the clock fully serviced by ford.

Thank you for your question. My name is Steve and I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade, hopefully I can help.

The bulb warning system can be over sensitive and although you have already checked the bulb connections it may be worth just double checking. Also even though the bulbs are working and you have also checked the resistance of the bulbs, the issue may still be with a bulb. You should also check the earth points to ensure that the system has a good earth. As you have a multi-meter this should be easily done to ensure there is no resistance in the loom

I am presuming that the lights and the ignition have been fully turned off, before then turning on again to check the warning message, this would include turning the switch from auto to off (if you have the auto position)

If having covered all these points the warning is still showing then the fault may be in the multi control module.

This is located up under the passenger footwell behind the glovebox and it may be worth ensuring that the connecting plug is good and the connections are clean.

I realise I haven't given you a quick fix but I hope this answers your question, but do please feel free to ask me any further details, if this does answer your question please click accept and rate me, even after you have accepted the answer you can continue to ask further questions using this thread.

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Checked bulbs again, have ordered new xenon bulbs as there are ‘burn marks’ inside the tubes. Check the earth contacts near both headlights given all a clean, tbh they weren’t bad but did them anyway. Had a further thought though, the headlight warning is always on even when the lights are off, does this suggest the module is faulty?

Not necessarily as the circuit is checked even when off, let me know how it goes when the bulbs are in, any problems get back to me.

Steve

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Will do, cheers Steve

no problem.

Steve